This is a two hour session for you and your partner, which takes place in the comfort of your own home. The session is also available to couples who are not booking my doula services.
Whilst I am neither an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) nor a Breastfeeding Counsellor, I am passionate about supporting women who have chosen to breastfeed and providing them with evidence-based information. I have attended breastfeeding study days with Breastfeeding London, which is an approved course provider for the International Lactation Consultants Association.
After you have contacted me, I will phone you to arrange a convenient time and have a brief chat about any previous experience or knowledge of breastfeeding you may have, so that I can tailor the session to your personal requirements. The session works well independently, as well as alongside the NHS and NCT breastfeeding classes. Some of the questions that the session will answer are as follows:
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding?
- What are the risks of formula feeding?
- What makes a good latch?
- What positions, other than the traditional cradle hold, can I use to feed my baby?
- How will I know I have enough milk? How often should I be feeding my baby?
- Is it normal to have pain when I start breastfeeding?
- How do I hand express? Why might I want to hand express?
- How can my partner be involved?
- How do I get in touch with an IBCLC or Breastfeeding Counsellor if I need further support after my baby has been born?
I use a range of teaching methods, including videos and props to demonstrate various aspects of breastfeeding. There will also be time for you to talk through any concerns you may have. After the session, I will email you links to breastfeeding support and online evidence-based resources, as well as links to the videos we have watched so that you can re-watch them whenever you wish. The cost is £60.